Saturday, 18 October 2014

Holiday Pillow Swap 2014 ~ WIP

Pillows are, almost definitely, my most favourite thing to make. Last year I took part in my first holiday pillow swap, and I loved it.  But I really needed more than one Christmas pillow, so it was an easy decision to sign up for the holiday/winter pillow swap on Flickr again this year. I pulled these fabrics for my partner with a vague idea of a wintery theme...

I was thinking over a few design options when I spotted a beautiful Denyse Schmidt fabric in this progress shot by Nicolette (the fabric on the bottom left). It looked so pretty I grabbed my Super Tote to see if I could find it in there, and yay, there it was... (Awesome Super Tote made by Marci - Flickr, it's my own DS fabric catalogue).
That's the fabric I was looking for in the centre of this pic.

The fabric looks pretty cute in red, pink and green too.

How fun are those little on-point squares. I thought they'd make a great quilt block so I made a few test blocks. These blocks are 4 1/2" finished and those centre squares are only 1/2".
Making a start {GPF Swap}

This afternoon I made a few more blocks. I still need to play with the arrangement but I'm really happy with how they turned out. While I was cutting I may have cut enough pieces to make several more blocks, you know, in case I decide to make a quilt of them!

9 comments:

  1. I love this Rachel! and I think I have some of that blue ( and red) print if youre needing any!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is going to look stunning Rachel, though I am not surprised. Still Christmassy (makes me think of gift wrapped parcels) yet not traditional - love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my Rachel - LOVE this pillow - what a gorgeous block !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Rachel! These are great blocks and I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m in love with the little blocks and fabrics you have chosen for the pillow cover!

    The two DS prints (and several others) are from Joann’s. A blogfriend in the US made it possible for me to buy some!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those Little blocks and your fabrics are so yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am just amazed at how you drew your inspiration for the block....SO SMART:) It is precisely why your work is so unique and lovely!!! Your partner is VERY lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah I love these little blocks! They are clever. I hope you make up the quilt and a pattern for how to make it! I'd be in. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure if I read about your inspiration or not, but I like it! That's a DS fabric I have loved too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! Feel free to leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...